Monday, October 10, 2011

Adept & Adapt.

Sunday was reserved for crafting. Jami, Allison & Avery came over to help make baby shower decorations. It was raining and due to the mess factor we decided to take over the large front porch and get down.
Our goal: yarn & lace lanterns 
Our mess level: 9
Our success level: 4

The rain made it impossible for the string and lace to dry. We made two glue mixtures. One with corn starch, water and glue. The other --wallpaper glue. Yarn in hand, we dipped it in the glue and wrapped it around the petroleum jellied balloons. 

We all seemed to have a difficult time blowing up the balloons, tiny things and more trouble figuring out how to hang them so they wouldn't drip/sway/intertwine. 


After a few tangled strings, trial and error cuts and popped balloons we managed to get going. This is what we accomplished! 

We parted ways and when I woke up this morning there were half of the balloons still hanging. Some were eaten by the rain. Others deflated completely leaving saggy clumps of intertwined string or piles of gluey lace on the porch. It was such a sad sad sight. All our hard work literally melted away. There were a few survivors which I immediately hung all over the living room. 
I went to class and when I returned I cleaned up the porch. The string and lace was saturated with glue and I decided to make the best of the situation. With the left over balloons I unwrapped the string and rewrapped them very tightly and hung them inside. 

So far... they look adorable and I manage to salvage a good portion of our materials. 
I'll post the final products when the balloons are removed and they are dry!




No comments:

Post a Comment